First was tea. Our first tea, and this happened the day before our trip. At about 3 (15:00), Barb and the kids showed up at my office (which is discouraged by the administra
tion, apparently due to the potential disruption of high seriousness), and so we decided to try our first official tea at a very official tea place, called Fitzwillies (Fitzbillies), or something. We stood out as we entered; the other patrons were well-dressed older ladies, just like you might picture. We ordered tea, scones with jam, and clotted cream, which, incidentally, is much better than it sounds. Tea is a lovely tradition: caffeine and cake in the afternoon and home just in time for drinks and dinner.
We had been researching a drive through East Anglia, and the next morning, when we awoke to sunshine, we decided to go for it. I packed the kids while Barb bravely took the bus and rented a car (we later found that they would have delivered it for free). We drove back to the rental firm because they needed to see my license to allow me to drive. Then I practiced in a large Tesco parking lot while Barb bought food for the trip. The only difficultly I had was when I had to yell at the kids to stop whatever it was that was pissing me off at the time -- it seems I can't yell and stay on the left at the same time.
We left town on the A10, and we learned of round-abouts (which lane do you get in? How do you remember when to get off? These people signal right and turn left.) and the difficulty judging the proximity of objects to the left side of the car -- we hit the curb several times, though we managed to miss all large objects (while I was driving Barb mentioned loudly several times that the left wheels were completely off the road. She was not right about that. (His exact words were, "No, I'm not." I considered getting out of the car, as you might imagine.) Once when she was driving through the small town of Ely, she chose to avoid an on-coming truck by steering almost directly toward a parked car. As I was about to scream I noticed she was completely calm: she had no idea we were about to shear off the left most 2 feet of our car. I managed a high-pitched squeal and Barb said, "You deserve it." It was only through some miracle of quantum physics that our mirrors passed through each other instead of being smashed to pieces).

Our first stop was a castle ruins, called Castle Rising. It was built in the 1100's, and wa
s almost entirely open for exploring -- I loved it, and the kids did too, though perhaps not as much as doing their gymnastics in the grass around it. It even had a moat.Next, we drove to our Bed and Breakfast. Nice and quaint, though small for 5 people, even by European standards. Then, a short walk to the beach and we were at the white cliffs of Dover, if a bit farther north (ot
her side of the island, I believe). As always, the kids threw off there (their) shoes and were immediately immersed in looking for agates and shells. The clam
shells were different, and so, interesting, and there were also large curly snail shells.We strolled along a board walk (prom) toward town (the town center), watching waves crash into the barrier wall and found a nice pub for dinner. Then straight to bed as Barb and I were mentally exhausted from the drive.

In the morning, we set off to see the North Sea (our B&B was in a bay) and after an hour of hair-raising small winding roads, with cars parked in ridiculous plac
es, we finally saw it in the distance. Was it worth it (If you zoom in, you can actually see the water)?Finally, we headed to the Royal House at Sandringham, which is apparently where the Queen winters. It sits on 600 acres of manicured lawns and gardens, has 75 bedrooms and a staff of 30. The kids enjoyed it, but did grow tired. Sophia decided she would marry the prince if asked. The trees were amazing. Note the "Magnum Ice Creams" in the last picture (some of us remember these from the Czech Republic days).


5 comments:
(There are some discontinuities in the text which you can probably edit.)
Makes me wonder whether I could drive (safely) there . . .
If Barb and Bruce can do it, I can do it!
Wow, was that low tide?
Are you sure it's not "Town Centre"?
I remember Magnum bars well - yum. We would usually buy them at the movies or on a hot day in town. I remember them as very satifying - just right. So when I bought one of those Costco dipped ice cream bars, I expected a treat. It's hard to believe that you can get too much and too sweet chocolate on an ice cream bar, but that what Costco has. Makes me wish I weren't diabetic, cause I'm convinced I could live on them.
The McGirls seem to be havin a marvelous time. I'm guessing they are taking in all of the fancy bits. I'm sure they have their moments, but it looks like they're getting on quite well.
Did the school situation work out? Do you they go on Monday or Tuesday?
Magnum bars are definitely a strong memory for going to the movies in Leysin, and for Kimmo pretty much every gas station stop.
Lara
[I use my gmail for my class google website - does anyone know how to change my ID for my posting?]
Lar,
I think you'd have to change how your name is displayed by your google account in order to change how it's displayed. You can have more than one google account (I have two myself). Someday soon I may start using mine for actual email rather than just blogging, and shared calendar and spreadsheets.
Deb
Post a Comment