Sunday, September 2, 2007
Two Night Before School Starts and No News
We haven't mentioned the school thing because nothing has happened!! Bruce begged for some progress or update, but apparently when they said on Friday that they would get back to us on Tuesday because Monday was a bank holiday, they were being very optimistic, and maybe misleading. We're getting the feeling that maybe alot of people take the week off when Monday is a holiday, at least when it's the last week of summer break. No one has told us as much, they just keep saying, "it is the bank holiday, you know." They finally have all of the paper work, the district is prepared to process it, but our neighborhood school isn't answering the phone this week. And we've been reminded that they technically have 10 days to process the papers after they've received everything, and that we may not register or attend school until they have approved it. (Okay, I was considering going straight to the school to see if we could figure anything out. But I never spoke to them about it.) Tomorrow is the last day before school starts, a teacher prep day or something. I might try to drop in and ask them what sort of clothes and materials we should buy if, hypothetically speaking, we were to start school on Tuesday, just in case. Miranda is wondering what she should know about British history in 5th grade, Sophia is terrified of what is going to be expected of her, and Olivia is already dreading missing the friends she expects to make while we're here. Should be interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
One thing about Europe I think is that the bureaucracy is far more entrenched- a long history. Ours is bad - theirs is far worse. That's one reason that I have not been optimistic for the EU's success. In 1993 I heard that the new stringent and detailed agricultural rules had to be officially translated into 9 different languages before it could be adopted - no doubt by at least 9 different multi-national committees. "Progress" will be slow. Anyway ground-level bureaucracy can be maddening . . . almost makes you miss our "young" bureaucracy and anti-bureaucratic attitudes.
I think you can tell Miranda that all she needs to know about British history took place in 1776!
Meaning everything since is irrelevant?
I think we might get it even worse being foreigners.
Post a Comment