
We also discovered our neighborhood playground. Across the street from a pub Deb and Sarah and I ended up eating at, there is a marked pathway to the Histon Recreation Ground or something (it will show up in the picture here in a minute). Amazingly unnoticeable when walking by. It turned out to be a decent size, and, most importantly, includes two zip lines. Also a miniature soccer field complete with goals, and the typical playground equipment. The kids love it. It's just a few blocks further away than the school, and will make a nice stop next time we're walking from town, as it did this weekend.

Most importantly, though, we have now received our first grocery delivery. Tesco wouldn't take our American credit card on line, but Waitrose did, and with very nice customer service complete with a computer printout of my order. Lovely. Brilliant. Fantastic! I bought a few things I wouldn't have if I had been able to read the list of ingredients (hmm, that set of yogurts includes a rhubarb and plum that the kids aren't very excited about). But I'm happy. We got milk and Coke to last us through xmas and beer that might last us to the end of the week.
And I joined Bruce and Bill and Seppo for lunch Monday (another sandwich at another coffee shop) and a brief tour of the backs and gardens some of which only University folks can walk for free, anyway. I've applied for my resident card so that I can walk through for free as well, but apparently won't be able to take guests as Bruce can (2). Pictures later. Bruce is off to Switzerland tomorrow. We're having our first local American company Sunday, I'm going to contact the City about their mediation program any day now, as well as the newcomers club to meet other university spouses. Right.
9 comments:
Bruce looks effervescent as always.
Time will seriously fly now that you have things down. Time to start thinking about what you'll want to bring back with you. I love the slightly different versions of day-to-day items as permanent souvenirs - like the silverware from Prague.
Have fun!
Lara
I already have three shopping bags. I'm thinking posters and artwork that will fit in a tube. I like everyday stuff as well.
Be sure to recruit visitors to take things back for you to avoid shipping or excess baggage expenses. Ooops that means us too . . .
Hi Barbara,
I'm sorry I haven't sent you anything sooner (it's been pretty busy), but I've been enjoying reading your entries.
I'm glad your girls are enjoying thier school and that you're able to get around pretty well. I remember going to England for a summer vacation to visit my friend and her family when they were there on a Fullbright exchange and I really enjoyed it. :)
Switzerland is a beautiful place! I spent seven weeks there in a small town called Schnottwil (it's just outside of Soloturn in the Swiss-German speaking part of the country) with some people named Peter and Johanna Brunner. They are the post-masters for the town. I had a wonderful time there! :)
Oh, I just remembered, I was going to ask you who you gave your dog to? I saw the picture you posted...it wouldn't be Tara Farley would it? ...just curious. :)
I hope you have a nice day. :)
Toby
Hi Toby, Is this Toby from Benton County? I can't see your email address or anything! I'm guessing it's you, and yes, it's Tara Farley. I'm afraid my dog won't want to come back home after living with her. We owe her alot for taking care of him. (Let me know if you have any ideas.) Sorry it's so busy there. Wish I could help! Barb
Tell Bruce if he's missing home I've been watching the hunting channel (Vs.) and would have a couple questions for him. They downed a "5x5" buck, but I'm sure there were only 4 points on each side. What gives? Cheap whiskey would also satisfy my curiosity.
Wedding photos soon - they look good. -Peter
I just uploaded photos to our Flickr website http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebull/ of what I call a 5-point elk grazing outside Terri's bedroom window about a month a go. I just caught a glimpse of him and ran downstairs to find him framed by Terri's bedroom window - too bad she wasn't here.
Speaking of 4- or 5-pointers . . . this morning, before dawn, we noticed about a half dozen elk strangely hovering at the edge of the woods - nothing we've seen before. I went out to make sure, then I noticed two males locking horns in the middle of the clearing. I went to get Terri, and with all the noise, they stopped and looked at us. I guess the rut has begun . . .
Thanks again for the hospitality! I feel like I should mail you guys a DVD of Seinfeld episodes.
You should also mention in your blog the wonderful Indian food in Cambridge.
Also, I should mention that Bruce did some sightseeing in Zurich with only minimal complaints. It's so wonderful to see him show signs of becoming an adult -- now that he's 40!!!
Post a Comment