(Deb's contribution in blue) (Barb's pictures and occasional captions still in black, and division into three or four entries.)
Atop the Eiffel Tower with the Seine behind to the South

Deb and I decided pretty literally last minute to run the kids over to Paris while Bruce was there for a conference this weekend. Unfortunately every rugby fan in the world is in Paris right now, which made getting around last minute even more difficult than it usually would be. The toughest part was having to drive because train tickets got so expensive. Will try to tell the story tomorrow. We took lots of pictures, and even some video. I'll include a couple of favorites before I turn in (pass out).
We tried to find tickets the same time Bruce found his, but for 5 people, during Rugby World Cup, the London-Paris train was too expensive, all of the standard fares were gone. After a couple of days of saying "anything but driving a UK car in France" I sorta' got over my fear of doing it enough to just do it. By luck we took the ferry from Dover to Calais and that ended up being the least expensive (money-wise) option between that or the tunnel. Barb looked it up on the internet after we got back. Just as a reference though, I think the tunnel may take half the time, but time we had, or so we thought.
After making good time from Calais to the Paris environs, we got off the freeway in Nanterre. Just before the turn-off to Versailles, I think. It was all very confusing. I believe we did a 4 1/2 hour tour of the western suburbs of Paris. We ended up crashing Bruce's room, though really that means we slept in his room starting just before 7 a.m. for about 3 hours (me, Barb was maybe just 2--I dunno, I was totally out of it), while Bruce took the girls for a walk and a pastry. THANK YOU BRUCE!!
No comments:
Post a Comment