Friday, August 17, 2007

Tea and Crumpets

Bruce got up first around 9, the kids at 10, 11, and 12 or so; me closer to 12:30. No one had eaten yet as it was still the middle of the night as far as our digestive systems were concerned. I toasted some crumpets (oversized, slightly heavy english muffins, really), and some English Breakfast tea (the kids' first caffeinated tea). I remember liking tea at a young age. Not so much my kids.

And then I took the kids into town while Bruce waited for Heathrow to come fetch the bag he made off with (off with which he made). We hopped on the bus at the stop at the end of our block. It took us straight to the bus station in the center of town (and continues on to the train station, for those who plan to visit). We came across a Borders bookstore on the way to tourist information and still managed to make it there before 5, this Friday evening, afraid it might be our last chance for info through the weekend. Fortunately they are open most of Saturday and for a few hours Sunday.

Tonight we read up on bike and car rentals, bus passes, and consider rearranging furniture for our guests. As it is we have two adequately sized bedrooms, one with a queen (ours, last night), one with a twin trundle that lifts up to a king, I guess, and one closet-sized room with a twin and several empty bookshelves that take up almost all of the remaining space. Olivia started out with M in the trundle (then joined us as usual), S slept alone in the twin. We have ample public space: living, dining, and "conservatory" the size of the first two combined. Two amply sized coffee tables and two dining tables. We could host quite a party, but no one could stay over as it is. I'm going to explore ways to set up the conservatory for guests. That would be the most comfortable. Otherwise it will be Bruce and Olivia in the twin, and me on the "couch." So yes, it is furnished, but not adequately yet. I'll be asking the landlords where to put the extra shelves, as the garage will be full with the car we're not renting, and the bike shed is housing the bikes we can't use.

Tomorrow we'll plan outings with Bruce's parents. We're considering trying punting on the river Cam, maybe taking a day trip into London, I bought just about every book available on what to do around Cambridge including teashop walks and "Driving and Strolling in Cambridge." No rain today, but there is supposed to be plenty all weekend. We may be buying boots and umbrellas next...

2 comments:

Debbie B said...

I have a ticket! Don't ask me how that shopping experience was. I'm glad I was working on Sarah's laptop, if I'd have been on my own I might have thrown it at the wall. My reservation somehow failed to post, then when I redid it, it was 70 dollars more! O, F!

It's 10 AM and I want a drink.

Sarah and I arrive together on the 13th. We'll plan to stay with you til or maybe thru Sunday--Bruce's 40th--then head up to Scotland by one means or aother. If you all will end up in France during that time, please let me know as that might change our plans.

Sarah flies back home on the 26th and me on October 1. So that stuff is set, and the rest is only pencilled in.

MB said...

For those who will be visiting, please write to us about the name of the train station and number of the bus . . . Thanks, Pops

PS And start your list of things for us to bring.