
We said goodbye to the McGoughs yesterday morning (at 7am), the girls asked me to wake

them, and then made it an easy day, starting by going straight back to bed. Bruce got the kids out of the house in the afternoon, still with umbrellas. Today we woke to a few clouds and a forecast for 22 degrees Celsius. We used the last few hours on our weekly bus passes to get to the outdoor pool at Jesus Green. It was a nice walk to get there from the bus stop. The pool itself was right on the Cam.
While the sunshine was warm, the pool was cold at a mere 15 degrees Celsius. I offered the kids whatever they wanted from the snack machine if they made it across the pool (a very long pool). They tried very hard, even Olivia was tearing up in the middle of the pool she was so cold, so they got treats for making it back alive. They chose cup of soup and hot chocolate with a few sweets.
Bruce had plans to walk back by the castle mound (
or motte, which is not the same as a moat, as it turns out. You could spend a lot of time looking for a moat when
really there is only a motte around), I'm sure he will tell you all about it. It's not very tall, but it is very old. And we walked all the way back to the house from there. We timed the way back from the school we hope they are able to attend. It took 15 minutes to walk back from there. We should hear Tuesday which school they've been assigned to. If it's the neighborhood school, we will try to get a visit and practice walking there, and maybe pick up some clothes in the school colors for the first day. If it's another school, we'll have some research and thinking to do.

It looks like we have one more day of nice weather coming, then a bank holiday Monday. (We're not really sure what that means, we know some things are closed, and some stores are having sales.) Next week Bruce will get acquainted with his work. Seppo, Bruce's sponsor and fellow researcher returns from fishing in Finland, I think. The girls and I will do some exploring these last days of summer and count the days until our next visitor, Debbie, arrives.
6 comments:
What fun it is to get up and read the latest news!! It always makes me chuckle. The pictures also make me smile. I see Sophia is still wearing her Crocs, which she definitely did not want to lose at the beach.
All the walking reminds me of our time in Prague. When we came home, everybody said we looked great. I think not having a car was a big factor. Terri
The last photo reminds me of the great view of downtown London that you get from Hampstead Heath.
B&B, you are doing a great job on the blog - almost like we're there with you. The photos are great - and perfect resolution. What camera do you have? (Terri's was dropped and is in need of replacement.)
We are using our little Canon PowerShot A510. I thought I was missing our film camera, but I'm always afraid to take it out or don't have room. We haven't taken the video out yet, probably should get the girls to talk before they start school so we can hear their speech change.
Wow, that's an older model camera than I was considering - the photos you've posted are amazingly clear and balanced with high resolution.
I'm thinking of getting:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3K
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-tz3k/4505-6501_7-32332749.html?tag=prod.txt.1
A coworker has one and loves it. She's a better shopper than I. (Anyone's a better shopper than I am, except for my car which was an excellent purchase). According to her they used to have them at Costco, but not so lucky now--at least not online. And they're spendy, so I'm also thinking of NOT getting this one. But I need something new and small for the trip, or I won't use it.
Post a Comment