Thursday, December 13, 2007

Wrapping Up Rome

The last full day Bruce was scheduled to spend with the folks at the bank, so the kids got an official kids day (Olivia's terminology, not mine). Of course, for Olivia that means stay in the room and do nothing but have someone go to the store and get her food. She and her sisters settled for a walk to the Time Elevator and gelato. Sophia had been given a cut-out doll from her teacher to dress appropriate to the city and photograph. So we finished coloring in a female Monte Mayfield and took her around with us.


Apparently I didn't think to take a picture of the Time Elevator. Maybe that's because it was really just a movie theater dedicated to two shows, the one we saw on the history of Rome, and then something about dinosaurs and the history of the world which we declined. The place was so remote and on such a small street I walked around the block to see if there was anything else like it before going in. There were two young men standing at the corner handing out free leaflets on it trying to talk us into package deals, so I felt I needed to check.

It worked out for the kids, the chairs moved around with the film as if we were flying. Something moved around our feet during the scene with rats, and we were sprayed with water when there was a splash. I learned a bit about the history of Rome and felt very fortunate that I was able to manage my motion sickness (we were confined as if in a roller coaster, otherwise I think I would have been in the toilet, seriously).

(This experience rivalled our landing in the Ciampino airport. The passengers literally applauded when we landed successfully, Bruce and I were pretty sure we approached the runway at about a 45 degree angle. I had no confidence it was going to work out. The kids had a blast. A real-life example of the bliss of ignorance. The staff said it was not an unusual landing for that airport. I will not be landing there again myself, and I don't recommend it.)

Fortunately the Time Elevator was just a few blocks from the Fontana di Trevi, so we took Monte back by there for a shot, though I prefer this one. If you throw a coin into this fountain over your shoulder, it's supposed to mean you will return to Rome. The kids did this, come to think of it Bruce and I didn't.


This is the pizza place on our street we ended up preferring. There were about a dozen oblong pizzas to choose from in the case, and we were charged by weight plus a couple of bucks if we wanted to eat in which the kids did. They have the art of sharing a single (Fanta) soda three ways down to a science. They have defined precisely, as I'm sure you can imagine, just the type of gulp they can take and rotate turns. Mom gets the rest when there isn't enough for a full round.


One picture of our internet gelato house from the outside while we shopped for souvenirs at the end of the day. Bruce took them by the shop for the final purchase while I checked email. They each got a clock made in China with a scene of Rome in the background, probably sitting right next to the Elvis memorabilia, and one of the scarves we had been seeing around. They are very pleased with their selections. At least they purchased from a store instead of those guys harrassing people on the street. The beginning of decorating their new bedrooms, which they plan to be staying in for some time to come.


A last-minute shot of our front door as I was getting into our taxi

This marks the end of our time as tourists. In some ways the most challenging trip, but we were also the most practised for it. Even Olivia seems to have survived. She has already had the teacher announce to the class about her foot and being careful not to kick it or step on it, but she demonstrated for me in the livingroom yesterday that she is now able to run if she keeps her foot at a certain angle. Today she performs as a star in The Something and the Teatowels, can't remember the name. (Her teacher made up a line for her to say, everyone gets at least one line.) Not exactly a Christmas pageant, but it is about a class putting on a Christmas pageant, I guess, and does include some Christmas songs which she has had memorized since Pete was here.


Laurie

5 comments:

deb said...

Yay Trevi Fountain and Pizza (not to be confused with Pisa).

Is Monte Mayfield a name the store/manufacturer made up, or something by Sophia or the girls in general? Anyway, very Amelie, I love it.

mcgoughbulls said...

No store. This is a gingerbread-shaped figure on a piece of paper, much like a sheet ripped out of a low-level coloring book. It was actually used for a project inviting kids from around the world to send in versions representing their part of the country...

mcgoughbulls said...

I mean world.

deb said...

I see. So, who named her?

mcgoughbulls said...

Mr. Evans as far as I know. We couldn't think of a good female equivalent.