Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Blast From the Past

One last visit from our long-time friend Lisa, and her daughter, Miranda's long-time friend Maya. Unfortunately it has been such a long-time since we've seen them, the kids struggle to remember when it was. Fortunately, Maya got along with all three girls pretty much instantly, and her new 11/2 year old sister Sadie takes care of herself pretty well.

The three of them, Lisa, Maya, and Sadie; just arrived in Paris to visit Lisa's brother and trained over to see us just as we're packing up. Never a dull moment (fortunately for us)! The kids decided today that they would rather hang out with Maya than go to school, so we let them skip. Tomorrow we have to decide whether to go in to school and say goodbye and if so for how long. We have tickets to see the Panto at 2pm. The one event several people here have told us not to miss.



So after Lisa and Maya did a little catching up on sleep, still recovering from jet lag, we ventured south of town to Wandlebury. Apparently an estate on the site of an old Roman fort. A couple of families lived in it over probably a couple of centuries, but the grand house came down a few decades ago and it has since been treated as a natural area. There are a few people living in apartments in some of the remaining buildings, but it is mostly just a nature walk a mile or two long. The kids, of course, were thrilled. Lisa kept them busy with jumping jacks and races to the next post to stay warm enough to survive the walk and earn a last cup of hot chocolate.


We picked Bruce up and took the kids to Grantchester for the first time. There were a few items for a light lunch, quiche, soup, and scones. I short jaunt around the meadow and Bruce was ready for his nap. Lisa and I took the kids for a quick visit to the town center. A little souvenir shopping and a couple of photos and we were good, as the sun was setting, of course.


We came home and put together a mini traditional xmas dinner. This time I had found stuffing, one bread and one pork sausage. The pork sausage was the easy favorite of the night. And we had some kind of turkey joint that was tasty. And leftover birthday cake and icecream for desert. The wrapped items on the table are called crackers. I don't know anything about them except that the students got some at their holiday dinner that we attended at Clare College. They contain a paper hat, a riddle, and a prize (much like a cracker jacks prize). I don't know if Martha Stewart would make her own, or if everyone just picks them up at the grocery store as I did.


The kids had asked if they could please watch Grease with Maya after. Turns out it's one of her favorites as well. My kids just about have the songs memorized. There are a few scenes and remarks they still don't completely understand. I have been busy explaining some of them. Who knew there was so much sex talk in that movie? I know I missed alot of it when I was a kid.

Today we take our visitors to the train station. We finish packing tomorrow, and get on a plane the next day. That means one more post from the UK, max.

3 comments:

deb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
deb said...

I know what a cracker is, actually several definitions but in this context there's no mystery. But qu'est-ce que c'est Panto?

I can't believe I had that French phrase spelled correctly, then I looked it up on the internet and misspelled it, then realized that the website I referenced was about "..a common misspelling/typo of the phrase qu'est-ce que c'est"

Oi! (Not to be confused with Oui)

MySchrödingerBaby said...

Wow, I can't believe how grown up Maya looks! Miranda too, but that's been a gradual thing. So much fun!