Friday, May 23, 2008

Mother's Day


After learning to ride around Cambridge for a few months, I decided it was time to get myself a new bike for the first time since I was in high school (Miranda needed one too), and asked the family to take a ride for Mother's Day. (While I worked in town I used Bruce's bike, notice Bruce's bike above.) The girls are all great riders, though haven't had nearly enough experience riding in a bike lane. And Bruce is an excellent traffic cop. Every bike has gears now, so in theory, we could even try a hill or two.

Our first stop was a garden shop, which was a mistake because there was inadequate parking and because Dusty took up the whole trailer so we didn't have any room to bring anything home. (Can't believe I didn't take a picture of him trying to get his nose under the snapped-in screen in the window. He feared for his own life almost as much as Bruce feared for the kids'.)

Then, riding through campus we came across an international festival of sorts and watched this traditional Japanese drumming performance. It looked a bit like Tai Chi.

Then, my favorite biking destination, the fountain at waterfront park. The kids took a stroll through the spouts and got hungry just in time for dinner, so we tried the new brewery in town and learned it had natural burgers and chalkboard tables. The kids had a strong preference for eating dinner at DQ, so we compromised and had desert at DQ across the street. Even mom had a blizzard, it has been a while.

Apart from the fact that I left my purse at Dairy Queen, and ended up having to drive the length of the bicycle trip after we got home, it was a nice day overall. No greenhouse gas savings, but we did all get some exercise (physical and emotional), and this would qualify as a family outing by any definition. And the purse was still sitting under the table exactly where I had left it. We're not in Cambridge anymore!


2 comments:

MB said...

A great idea for mother's day, and thanks for the post. Everybody looks a little more grown up.

We had a similar troupe of Japanese drummers perform across from our Winchell St. house - very dramatic. Like many folk traditions, one wonders what the history of the highly stylized performance is.rgu

deb said...

It's called Taiko drumming. I don't actually know how it's spelled. I have a friend who's tried it. She said it was really fun. I think it looks like a great time, a neat art.