Monday, November 12, 2007

Edinburgh

The very first thing we did in Edinburgh was get a camera!


We found a store with a lower-end canon familiar enough we can use it. Hopefully the quality is reasonable. Looks okay so far. Not as many fancy features, but not bad. Great for the blog though, I was already tired of looking at my thoughtful but fairly plain-looking words.



What a sight, we turned the corner from the camera store to see the castle towering above the city, all the kids saw was this playground sitting in the Prince's Gardens below. Needless to say they didn't want to leave. It proved to be a good way to motivate leaving the aparment the next morning.
We took the long way around the road circling up to the castle, and were glad for the shelter it provided from the wind when we got up there. The whole extended weekend, it only rained while we were asleep. It's a very good thing as we were challenged enough by the northern winter temperatures. The wind evoked images of people climbing Mt. Everest. It was constant, and made me feel like we were on the moon or somewhere not really meant for people. Thankfully, Bruce was equally uncomfortable, he has always thought he's like to live in Alaska someday. I have always known I wouldn't.

There was alot to see memorializing Robert the Bruce, including the plaque and statue at the entrance of the castle. The main attraction at the castle is the Crown Jewels, and they describe in great detail Robert the Bruce finally being crowned King after years of conflict over the rights.


After the castle we walked down the royal mile toward tourist information, stopping only to visit the tartan wool factory or mill. I was able to pick up a new tie for Bruce in time for his presentation, all were reportedly impressed with the choice of light blue with dark grey and green. I'll have to get a picture.


Being far more practical these days than we may once have been, we were pretty happy to learn that there was a food court (and KFC) in the mall below tourist information from which (approximately) we took this picture as the sun was well on its way down at 4:45 pm. Short days.

7 comments:

MB said...

Good looking photos - great to see you all again.

Lassila said...

Bruce - get a hair cut!

deb said...

I'm glad it didn't rain on you. It's surprising how much being out in the rain makes a person NOT feel like taking pictures. I can't believe Sarah and I only got one or two pictures of York. Then again, we were only there an hour or two.

We did a slide show yesterday at work. I had to throw together a selected set and all I could think was the more pictures I put in the less I would have to talk. It didn't really work out that way and I overstood my time slot. We're doing another one next week. Lots of interesting trips around the office last year including a fella who took the trans-Siberial railway with his son en route to a term in Moscow. The stories reminded me of Prague.

mcgoughbulls said...

I think if it had rained it would have snowed. That's a cool office to have slide shows.

MySchrödingerBaby said...

Hey, I like Bruce's long hair! It helps me to feel how long it's been since we've seen them. I often clip my fingernails real close when something big happens, so then I can tell how long it's been by looking at them. Everybody looks so different!

deb said...

Trans-Siberian I meant. I can spell, I learnt that once.

Ya, cool office. I have a feeling it will become an annual event,.. at least.

deb said...

"Edinbrrrr!" :)