Bruce helping dad test his new camera's ability to automatically find a face to focus on. Looks like the camera passed the test, even recognizes clown faces. As usual, the school group went on ahead of me while I got dressed. I caught up on my bike and sent Bruce on to work on it, Mom, Dad and I took a walking tour of the town.
Walking the kids to school.
We saw Jesus Green and the town center including the Market Square (above), shopped for phone cards (we now have two and talk to eachother for "free" after 5 pounds/month). I got to see a few nooks I noticed in some tour books, Mom and Dad took lots of pictures. A quick stop at Borders for coffee, a bathroom and travel books recommending lunch places, and we arranged to meet Bruce for lunch at a landmark pub, The Anchor at the Silver Street bridge, not far from his office.
For the first time I had guests and Bruce in the center of town, and asked Bruce to take us through "The Backs," through and behind the college buildings. He has a pass that gets in two others for free, I have a resident's pass, so we all walked the long way towards Bruce's office through King's College chapel. A very beautiful building and kind of the principal landmark in town. It has become a north star for me.
King's College Chapel, the top attraction in Cambridge.
By the time we got through it and across the garden, all three of my fellow travelers were done. Oops. Bruce went back to work (he doesn't usually visit during lunch) and we took the quickest way home by foot. If I had not been so afraid to drive in town, it might have been a longer tour, but we did see plenty for the first day! And got home in time to put our feet up before picking the kids up from school in a car, a special treat.
No comments:
Post a Comment